www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Holt Press. Make you own badge here.

Countdown to Augusta
JavaScript Kit

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Sport Boy with his heroes Jack and Harry at the Busselton Show

  Posted by Picasa
When we went to the Show last year we met Mervyn Davis, author of a book called "Jack & Harry" which he and his brother Barry were selling. They travel around the country to shows and fairs selling the book which tells the story of two boys who run away from home after being falsely accused of stealing a bike and end up having an amazing adventure which takes them through the heart of Australia, all the while with their frantic parents worried sick about their whereabouts and well-being and their attempts to find them. Merv did a good job convincing me of the book's merits so I bought it and over the next couple of months read it aloud to Sport Boy at bed time. (Ironically, the credit card payment I made to buy it caused me a great deal of consternation. When my statement came it had a mystery entry of $25 to a motel in Midland on it. I had never stayed at the motel and could not understand how it came to be on my account. I contacted Visa to query it and ended up reporting it as fraudulent. A couple of months after that a receipt turned up which I had indeed signed and was in fact the payment for "Jack & Harry". Turns out Mervyn's credit card payments were made into his business, a motel in Midland!!)
Sport Boy and I both loved the book, as did Jordy when he read it, and just the other day SB asked me when I thought the sequel would come out? The first book ends in such a way that a sequel is required.

Fast forward to Friday night and our visit to this year's show and who de we find but "Jack & Harry", literally as I'll explain in a moment. Merv and his brother Barry remembered us, asking me about computing as I had told them about my blog last year. Sport Boy immediately asked them when the second book was coming and Barry said that he was locking Merv away in a room early next year to force him to write the next book, as well as the script for a "Jack & Harry" movie which is planned.
They both have deep gravelly voices and look similar as you can see. Barry divulged to us something he hadn't said last year, that "Jack & Harry" is their story, it's about real life events that happened to them as kids! That made it all the more special.
Barry then said to Sport Boy, hang on mate, I've got something for you, and proceeded to give him a "Jack & Harry" hat and T-shirt, which he immediately put on and hasn't taken off since!
Carolyn took him back later to say goodbye before they left the show (I'd left by then to start my cab shift) and we dropped by to say farewell on Saturday afternoon as well. Apparently they invited Sport Boy to come and visit the set when the movie is being made!
Two lovely Aussie blokes, selling their life story in a typically Aussie way, travelling round the country in a van, sharing their story with people they meet.
I find them and their story, both the written and the living versions, inspirational.

As far as I know the book is not available in shops but keep your eye out for "Jack & Harry", appearing at a country show near you!

9 Comments:

At Sun. Nov. 05, 07:36:00 am 2006, Blogger The Heir said...

why are jack and harry sport boys heroes??

 
At Sun. Nov. 05, 07:57:00 pm 2006, Blogger Marcus said...

G'day Zac
Your comment was posted before I updated the original post with the story which explains exactly that. I didn't have the time or enegy to write it then (after Friday night's cab shift) but I wanted to put the photo up as soon as I could.

Sophie is being baptised after church next week! PTL

 
At Sun. Nov. 05, 10:38:00 pm 2006, Blogger Peter said...

A good story, does Merv exist?? and if so did he write the book about Jack and Harry??

 
At Mon. Nov. 06, 08:29:00 pm 2006, Blogger The Heir said...

shes not allowed to be baptised when im not there!!
sounds like theres a lot going on in the south west, jack and harry sound v cool, must get the book off u.
really want to call you guys sometime soon. when are u round??

 
At Tue. Nov. 07, 01:08:00 am 2006, Blogger Marcus said...

Yeah, Merv and Barry are real life brothers and the book is based on them. Merv co-wrote it with a bloke called Tony McKenna.
The title is actually "Jack and Harry, No Turning Back"

 
At Fri. Jul. 09, 05:13:00 am 2010, Anonymous discount sports tickets said...

a very nice and touching story. I like it.

 
At Sat. Jun. 18, 08:17:00 am 2011, Blogger Jean said...

Dear Marcus
I live in New Zealand and my son who lives in Australia read the book and told me to try and get it here. I manged to get an audio version which I loved and through your blog, am now so excited to hear there is going to be a sequel and a movie. They will be best sellers. I now want to get hold of a copy of the book and have tried lots of avenues but can't get a copy. Would you know how I could get in touch with the authors or anyone who may help me get a copy in New Zealand. Many thanks
Jean

 
At Sun. Jun. 23, 10:11:00 am 2013, Blogger Humaun Kabir said...

Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.
Jack Harries Girlfriend

 
At Sat. Jun. 07, 01:06:00 pm 2014, Anonymous aidan said...

what's the update with the sequel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home